Sundar Pichai family, wedding pics, age, height, weight, biography, wiki, wife
Pichai Sundararajan (born 12 July 1972), also known as Sundar Pichai, is an Indian American business executive.
Pichai is the chief executive officer (CEO) of Google Inc. Formerly the Product Chief of Google, Pichai’s current role was announced on 10 August 2015, as part of the restructuring process that made Alphabet Inc. into Google’s parent company, and he assumed the position on 2 October 2015
Pichai is married to Anjali Pichai, a chemical engineer, a classmate at IIT Kharagpur. They have two children, and live in Los Altos Hills, in a home designed by Robert Swatt of Swatt Miers
|Born||July 12, 1972
Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India
|Residence||Los Altos Hills, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||IIT Kharagpur (B.Tech.)
Stanford University (M.S.)
University of Pennsylvania (MBA)
|Occupation||CEO of Google|
|Salary||US$150 million (2015)|
|Net worth||US$1.05 billion (December 2015)|
Here are 21 facts you may not know about Google’s surprise new CEO:
- With this reorganization of Google/Alphabet Inc., Pichai will control: search, ads, maps, the Google Play Store, YouTube, and Android.
- In February 2014, Pichai was rumored to be in active negotiations with Microsoft to become that tech giant’s third CEO.
- His colleagues tell Bloomberg that Pichai tends to walk it out when he’s deep in thought. It’s not unusual for him to wander away in the middle of a meeting, only to return with the solution to whatever problem is being discussed.
- Born in Chennai in the state of Tamil Nadu, India, in 1972, Sundar’s full name is Pichai Sundararajan. Though he had a modest upbringing, he’s now worth a reported $150 million.
- His father, an electrical engineer, had to save for three years to buy the family a new scooter, but made sure Pichai and his brother had the best education the family could afford, at Padma Seshadri Bala Bhavan.
- Pichai’s father told Bloomberg he believes that talking to young Sundar about the challenges in his work as an electrical engineer led to his son’s interest in technology.
- Pichai was captain of his high school cricket team before earning his bachelor of engineering degree from the Indian Institute of Technology; his MS from Stanford; and an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. When Sundar won a scholarship to Stanford, his father withdrew more than his annual salary from the family’s savings to fly him to the United States.
- Prior to joining Google, he did management consulting with McKinsey & Company.
- Pichai has been with Google since 2004, when he joined to lead product management for Google Chrome and Chrome OS. He was involved with Google Drive and went on to oversee Gmail and Google Maps, as well.
- In 2011, Pichai drew attention when he was considered to lead product and replace Jason Goldman at Twitter. He chose to stay with Google.
- In 2013, Pichai took over Android founder Andy Rubin’s portfolio to run mobile platforms. He was also entrusted with wooing more than a billion global users to the Android ecosystem.
- According to Business Insider, Pichai was skilled at staying out of politics and drama at Google. When he reported to Marissa Mayer, he reportedly sat outside her office for hours, if necessary, to make sure his team had good performance reviews.
- When he was almost lured away to Microsoft, Google reportedly negotiated desperately to retain Pichai for $50 million a year in stocks.
- Pichai was on the board of advisors for Ruba Inc. and was a director of Jive Software Inc.
- “Android One,” Pichai’s pet project designed to provide affordable smartphones in all households worldwide, launched in India in September 2014.
- Though he was just appointed CEO of Google, Pichai has effectively been responsible for day-to-day operations at Google since October 2014.
- Pichai had been Page’s right-hand man for some time and is credited with trying to convince WhatsApp founder Jan Koum not to sell to Facebook. He also helped Page convince Nest’s Tony Fadell to merge his company with the Google team, among other things.
- Dieter Bohn at The Verge describes Pichai’s office as “clean to the point of being spartan” and noted that this simplicity was reflected in his demeanor.
- Now married to his love Anjali, whom he dated in India before she joined him in the United States, Pichai is the father of two.
- Pichai is known for his soft-spoken, diplomatic nature. In 2013, he accompanied Larry Page and Google CBO Nikesh Arora to tour a Samsung factory in South Korea to help build Google’s relationship with its partner.
- Pichai has an unusual gift that seemed little more than a curiosity to him when he was a child, but has served him incredibly well in adulthood: he has insane numerical recall and can remember every number he’s ever dialed.
1. He was born in Chennai and did his schooling in Class X at Jawahar Vidyalaya, Ashok Nagar Chennai and completed the Class XII from Vana Vani school located in the IIT, Chennai. He belonged to a modest family where his dad managed a warehouse that made electric components. It is from there that Pichai developed an inclination towards technology and went on to pursue an undergraduate degree in metallurgical engineering from IIT Kharagpur.
2. Pichai also has an MS degree from Stanford University and an MBA from the prestigious Wharton School of Business (where he was awarded the Siebel scholar and the Palmer scholar). So he was always at the top of his class and continues to be so, even to this day. He’s only 43, after all.
3. While work politics play a huge role in most offices, and ego clashes occur on a regular basis, the reason that Pichai stood out so much is due to his simplicity and his ability to create brilliant teams. Caesar Sengupta, a Vice President at Google who worked with Pichai for eight years said, “I would challenge you to find anyone at Google who doesn’t like Sundar or who thinks Sundar is a jerk.” How many of us can find one person like that at our respective workplaces?
4. Pichai made a breakthrough in Google after he was given the opportunity to handle Toolbar. Although he joined in 2004, he created a lot of revenue for the company as the toolbar was a huge success and made Google come up with its own Browser in 2008.
5. Lastly, Pichai almost left Google in 2011 to become the Product Head at Twitter. However, his work and reputation had reached such heights that Google offered him a whooping to stay back in the company. Naturally, he declined Twitter’s offer and look where he is today!
>> Born Pichai Sundararajan in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, on July 12, 1972, Pichai spent his childhood and early adulthood in Chennai.
>> Sundar Pichai’s father was a senior electrical engineer in General Electric and managed a factory that made electrical components.
>> Pichai holds a degree in Metallurgical Engineering from IIT Kharagpur, an M.S. (Master of Science) degree from Stanford University in Material Sciences and Engineering and a MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, where he was named a Siebel Scholar and a Palmer Scholar, respectively.
>> Sundar Pichai resides in Los Altos Hills, California, United States with his wife Anjali Pichai, a chemical engineer, who was his classmate at IIT Kharagpur. They have two children.
>> Before joining Google, Pichai worked in engineering and product management at Applied Materials and in management consulting at the firm McKinsey & Company.
>> Sundar Pichai was reportedly a contender for Microsoft’s chief executive officer in 2014, a position that was eventually given to fellow Indian-origin executive Satya Nadella.
>> Pichai has been a part of Google since 2004 and has led product management and innovation efforts for Google Chrome, Chrome OS and Google Drive among other products. He has also overseen development of different apps such as Gmail and Google Maps.
>> Sundar Pichai demonstrated the Chrome OS and Chromebook on November 19, 2009, the latter which was released for trial and testing in 2011 and later to the public in 2012.
>> Pichai also announced the open-sourcing of the new video codec VP8 by Google, and introduced the new video format WebM on May 20, 2010.
>> Sundar Pichai was director of Jive Software from April 2011 to July 30, 2013 and added Android on March 13, 2013, which was formerly managed by Andy Rubin, to the list of Google products he oversees.
> Pichai, who was appointed Product Chief by CEO Larry Page on October 24, 2014, assumed the role of CEO almost a year later on October 5, 2015, two months after the announcement was made on August 10, 2015. This was after the completion of the formation of Alphabet Inc., the new holding company for the Google company family.