Om Puri death, family, wedding pics, age, height, weight, biography, wiki, wife, affairs (Ompuri)
Om Prakesh Puri OBE (18 October 1950 – 6 January 2017) was an Indian actor who appeared in mainstream commercial Indian, British, American and Pakistani films, as well as independent films and art films. He is best-known for his author-backed roles in films like Aakrosh (1980), Arohan (1982) and television films like Sadgati (1981) and Tamas (1987) and also light-hearted roles in Jaane Bhi Do Yaaro (1983), Chachi 420 (1997) and Actor In Law (2017). He had various collaborations with director Shyam Benegal and Govind Nihalani.
Puri was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award of India, in 1990; and in 2004, was made an honorary Officer of the Order of the British Empire
Puri married Seema Kapoor, the sister of actor Annu Kapoor, in 1991, but their marriage ended after eight months.
In 1993, he married journalist Nandita Puri, with whom he had a son named Ishaan. In 2009, Nandita wrote a biography of her husband titled Unlikely Hero: The Story Of Om Puri. Upon the book’s publication, Puri spoke of his anger at the inclusion of explicit details of his previous relationships. In 2013, Nandita filed an allegation of domestic violence against him, and the two opted for a judicial separation shortly afterwards.
His second wife reported that they kept a “secular house”, but that “while Om is not ritualistic, he does not mind others being so”. He took “solace in spiritual reading”, particularly in the writings of spiritual teacher Eknath Easwaran, many of whose books he shared with friends. Puri seldom took politics seriously, and often found relaxation by cooking or gardening
|Born||Om Prakesh Puri
18 October 1950
Ambala, Punjab, India
(now in Haryana)
|Died||6 January 2017 (aged 66)
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Cause of death||Heart attack|
|Education||National School of Drama|
|Alma mater||Film and Television Institute of India|
|Spouse(s)||Seema Kapoor (1991–1991)
Nandita Puri (1993–2013)
1) Om Puri married Seema Kapoor, the sister of actor Annu Kapoor, in 1991, but their marriage ended soon.
om puri, om puri first wife, seema kapoor
2) Seema and Om knew each other for 11 years, since 1979. She lived in Delhi and Om in Mumbai. She had even proposed to him but he had told her, “I admire you, I’m fond of you but I’m involved with another girl.” She was heartbroken. Eventually, the two got married in 1990. But they did not remain together for too long.
3) In 1993, he married journalist Nandita Puri, with whom he had a son named Ishaan.
om puri, om puri wife, Nandita puri, om puri wedding pic
4) In 2009, Nandita wrote a biography of her husband titled ‘Unlikely Hero: The Story Of Om Puri.’ The inclusion of explicit details of Om Puri’s previous relationships in the book made him very upset.
om puri, om puri biography, om puri wife, Nandita puri, om puri son
5) The main reason for Om Puri’s anger, as revealed by Nandita, was her revelation that he had sex with his maid Shanti at the age of 14. Nandita had also exposed Om’s longstanding liaison with a woman named Laxmi with whom Om was sexually and emotionally involved.
Also read | Om Puri passes away after a massive heart attack, funeral at 6 pm
6) Om Puri had even spoken about this in an interview at that time. He said, “My wife has reduced a very important and sacred part of my life to cheap and lurid gossip. I had shared these dark secrets with my wife as all husbands do. If she chose to make them public, at least she should’ve made sure to maintain a dignity about experiences that are a valuable part of my life. Has she forgotten that I have a standing in society and I’ve worked hard to achieve all that I have today? I won’t allow her to throw it all away for the sake of sensationalism.”
om puri, om puri wife, om puri separation
7) When Nandita was asked about her side of the story, she said, “This is all such a mistake. My book on my husband is a biography. The book is about Om, the man and the actor. Om has all the human foibles, just like all of us.”
8) Nandita filed an allegation of domestic violence against him, and the two opted for a judicial separation after 26 years of marriage, as things turned ugly between them following the biography.
Also read | RIP Om Puri: His journey from rag picking to cinematic success, see pics
9) Puri and Nandita decided to live separately without going through a divorce.
om puri, om puri wife, om puri son, om puri family
10) His lawyer Jalaja Nambiar said the couple will have separate lives without divorce. “Mr Puri wanted a divorce but because things started going here and there, he opted for an amicable settlement and the court granted them judicial separation under which they are a married couple legally but have their separate lives and cannot interfere in each other’s matter,” she said.
Om Puri’s onscreen persona was very different from his real life image. His marital issues often kept him in news.